Good starting point for creating a custom membership provider for an ASP.NET MVC app running in Azure?

Aug 15, 2012 at 1:42 PM

I'm new to ASP.NET Membership and Azure, while I have some background in ASP.NET MVC. From what I understand though, it's typically recommended to write your own custom membership provider with a schema tailored to your data model as opposed to employing the ASP.NET Profile system.

Would AzureProviders be a recommended starting point for writing a custom membership provider for my MVC (4) application? Appreciate any advice :)

Coordinator
Aug 16, 2012 at 10:12 AM

From what I understand though, it's typically recommended to write your own custom membership provider with a schema tailored to your data model as opposed to employing the ASP.NET Profile system.

The nice thing with ASP.NET profiles is that it's already integrated with ASP.NET Membership and in AzureProviders it is automatically stored and retrieved from the Azure table storage. If you make your own schema you will have to also handle storage and retrieval of the data, serialization/deserialization of the data, and integration with the ASP.NET Membership provider. So, I conclude that there are many pro's and con's.

Would AzureProviders be a recommended starting point for writing a custom membership provider for my MVC (4) application? Appreciate any advice :)

There are users of this project that have used AzureProveders with MVC, the user "edikt" has a review on the download page where he/she mentioned he/she has done just that. You could try to contact endikt via CodePlex, perhaps he/she can help you with this.